Saturday, January 20, 2018

Time Strategies

Time Management as a Whole

Before I even began to reach the articles about ways to improve time management skills, for me personally I feel I am pretty good at staying on top of my assignments. I'm someone who enjoys being organized and likes to write out all my assignments in the future and knowing when exactly everything is due. Although, every now and then I do forget about assignments and I am finishing them at the last moment. As a college student its hard to find the balance between school, work, taking care of yourself, working out, and having a little fun once in a while. A couple of ways that I have been successful in time management is writing it down, having reminders, and actually following through with what I "plan". For example, like I stated earlier in my post, I enjoy writing things down and being organized. So with this, if I write in in my agenda I tend to remember it better and then don't feel as stressed with assignments and work build up. Sometimes I have to make it fun and add color or stickers if a certain day is really jam packed. Also with staying on top of things, having reminders helps. Whether that includes writing it on a sticky not and placing it somewhere in my room or having a reminder set on my phone. 

The Psychology of Checklists: Why Setting Small Goals Motivates us to Accomplish Bigger Things (Psychology Checklist)

First of all, I loved this article. Not only did it have useful information, but I found myself agreeing with different strategies to help you succeed. In the opening paragraphs the article talked about setting "real" goals for yourself. I especially liked how it talked about the acronym SMART, this is a good tool when setting your goals for yourself or for academics. I also liked how it talked about what goes on in our brains when we have the satisfaction of crossing something off. The little amount of dopamine that is released gives us satisfaction to want to continue the action we are doing, and continue to complete actions. I find check lists to be very beneficial. Whether my checklist is for the school work I want to complete for the day, my grocery list, or my long term goals, having the satisfaction of knowing you completed a task and have achieved something feels great. Everyone should make checklists, it can really help keep you organized and plus you get to cross something off. 
Every college students checklist... for everyday, not just Monday: Pinimg

THE MYTH OF "TOO BUSY" (BookLaunch)

This article in particular made a good point about our schedules being so busy. It's easy to let all the activities, assignments, and work get in the way of us making time for things. The particle made a going point about instead of saying too busy, make the time to do something. I know for me personally, I have said "oh I'm too busy, I cant do that", usually I'm talking about going to workout, but we all have said the phrase before. This article pointed out that we spend a lot of our time on wasteful activities, whether that includes scrolling on our phone, opening our social medias, and other activities that take up time. If we took the initiative to actually make the time to do something, we would be so much more productive and feel satisfied with ourselves. I agree with the article in that we need to be in control of our schedules, of course we have things we have to do like work and school, but aside from that, we are in control of what we do with our free time. I also liked the part about changing the way we describe our time. By doing this, I feel I will personally see that I am spending a lot of my time doing useless things. If I take the time to actually see what I am investing my time in, I might want to change that. Overall, I enjoyed this article and will take the steps in changing the idea of being "too busy"  

No comments:

Post a Comment