Thursday, January 18, 2018

Growth Mindset

What is growth mindset?

During my sophomore year of college, I was introduced to the basic idea of what growth mindset was. I took principles of communications with Dr. Banas and this is when I was first introduced to what growth mindset was. While I believe that I had some exposure to the idea of what growth mindset was, I just didn't have a name to the idea.

Growth Mindset Today

As now a Junior in college, I do believe in what Dr. Dweck explains about the idea of growth mindset. It's disappointing that some individuals believe that they have reached their maximum intelligence or skill level just because someone tells them that they have. I believe that as human beings, there is always room for improvement. Whether that is on an academic level, sports level, skill level, or anything else that can be measured. Everyone deserves equal opportunities to become a better person. It's encouraging to know that if we change our initial approach into a situation that it can make all the difference. In the example that Dr. Dweck's talks about with the young child in Harlem that scored in the 95th percentile of their math exam, this brings joy to my heart. Knowing that when all odds are against you, but you can rise above them with support and dedication in achieving is heart warming.

Five famous individuals who have overcome challenges and been successful: Demilked
Expanding my Thinking 

Before college, I always used the same techniques and way of learning to be successful in college. However, during my freshman year of college, everything I thought I knew about studying and taking exams went out the window. If it wasn't for professors and other students taking the time to help and encourage me to find new ways to achieve and excel in my academics, I wouldn't be the student I am today. Growth mindset has allowed me to not think so closed minded and expand my way of approaching challenges, and finding new ways to overcome them. With the support of others, and believing in myself, I can achieve anything I wish.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this graphic. It emphasizes not only that failure is an important component of success, but also that success can happen far later in life than we are led to believe. We often feel that, if we don't achieve the right things as a 20-something, we aren't going to be successful long-term... these individuals prove that to be wrong.

    ReplyDelete