Thursday, April 12, 2018

Week 12: Dougie the dog

Dougie the Dog
Golden Doodle: Wikimedia

Once upon a time, there was a dog names Dougie. Dougie was a sweet golden doodle puppy that lived at the local animal shelter. He had the sweetest eyes and the softest fur. Each day, people passed by him in the window.

Than one day, a girl passed Dougie and told her mom, "Mom, I want that brown dog right there."

The Mom replied, "No sweetie, we cannot have a puppy right now."

Dougie's eyes grew sad.

The next day, a little boy saw Dougie. He grabbed his Dad's arm and said "Dad, I want that brown dog right there.

The Dad replied, "No sweetie, we cannot have a puppy right now."

Dougie's eyes grew sad.

The following day a little boy saw Dougie. He grabbed his Grandma's arm and said "Grandma, I want that brown dog right there.

The Grandma replied, "No sweetie, we cannot have a puppy right now."

Dougie's eyes grew sad.

Day after day, Dougie heard the same words, "No sweetie, we cannot have a puppy right now."

The same routine happened continuously. People passed by Dougie and each and everyone said, "I want that dog", but no one ever stopped into the store to buy him.

Then, one day, a sweet family passed by the animal shelter and saw Dougie.

The Father looked at his family and said. "Family, I want that brown dog right there."

And together they shouted. "I love him, he will be ours."

Dougie's eyes began to sparkle, and the family took him home and took great care of him.

Author's note:
English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890)

I decided to use the idea of the repetition that was in Johnny Cake. In the original story, the cake escapes and continues to out run several groups of people and animals. Until, a fox out smarts the cake and ends up eating him. I decided to use a dog as the main character of my story and have people not want him because they cannot have a puppy right now. However, in the end, he is happily adopted into a family. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I like the twist in the story that you provided! Your author's notes were really useful and it helped me understand how such a story connects to the theme of the class! One thing I really appreciate is the picture of the dog and I think that is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love how you shifted the story to be about a puppy. Dogs are the best, so any story about them is great. The picture of the puppy you used is really cute, and it definitely helped me imagine the puppy in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julianna! This is such a sweet story! I have a lot of respect for people who adopt pets and give them a home! The feeling of not being wanted is one that almost everyone has experienced in same form or fashion and this story does a good job encompassing those feelings!Great story! I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete